Saturday, March 24, 2012

Minty Goodness


I have done it.  I have perfected a chocolate cupcake recipe that is so perfect you would think it was a box mix.  It was chocolaty and moist and just perfect. 

It is so rewarding to have a cupcake come out so perfectly you just want to stare at them, pre-frosting, because of how perfect they are.  (Not saying I did, or didn’t…for ten full minutes.)

And they were a hit at work.

It started from a box of Thin Mints that was taunting me from the pantry shelf and I decided I needed to do something cupcake-y to put with my favorite Girl Scout cookies.  I figured a simple chocolate cupcake with mint butter cream would be the perfect way to accent my extra box of Thin Mints.

Best Cookies Ever


And then it happened.  The. Perfect. Chocolate. Cupcake.

I’m so excited.

And here it is.



And they turned out so pretty too :) 
So moist!


And the recipe:

The Perfect Chocolate Cupcake
Makes 24 Cupcakes

2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons of Baking Soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter
12 oz strong brewed coffee
¾ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream

Directions:
1.   Preheat Oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake trays with liners.
2.   Wisk together Flour, Sugar, Salt, and baking soda in medium sized bowl and set aside.
3.   Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until completely melted.  Add vanilla and coffee and mix well.  Wisk in cocoa powder until completely dissolved and set aside to cool slightly.
4.   Using stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, whisk together eggs and sour cream until smooth.
5.   Add the slightly cooled chocolate mixer very slowly.  (You don’t want the eggs to cook!)  Whisk until just combined.
6.   Add in the dry indigent mixer until smooth.  Mixer will be liquid-y. 
7.   Fill the cupcake liners until 2/3 full. 
8.   Bake approximately 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean and cupcake top is springy on top.

Mint Buttercream:

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
½ cup shortening
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 lb confectioner’s sugar.  (More or less to taste and texture.  I never truly measure, I just add it until I feel it is right.)
1.   Using stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter and shortening until smooth.
2.   Add in vanilla extract and peppermint extract and mix well.
3.   Add in confectioner’s sugar until desired taste and texture has been achieved.



No comments:

Post a Comment